Thursday, August 09, 2012

Air Your Dirty Laundry in Public





Diary of Journalist at AL-Ahram 

Twenty years opponent journalist in Mubarak's Al-Ahram 


( Don't wash your dirty laundry in public) 

Old wisdom

( Airing dirty laundry in public, takes away the bad smile and teach us to do our laundry before airing it, because in the era of communication revolution, public watch and smell our laundry anyway) 

New Wisdom ( aka Hamamou's wisdom) 



That was the first two sentences of my new release ( Diary of A journalist at Al-Ahram: life and career of an opponent journalist at Mubarak's AlAhram) my book that toke me 10 years to write.


In "Diary of A journalist at Al-Ahram"I toke the reader in a 20 years journey, almost two decades in a print media career under Mubarak's Egypt, my career and life as an opponent journalist working in a state-run media wasn't easy, a journey where I witnessed not only history of media industry in Egypt, crossing from offline to the new media world, but also, where I witnessed, reported and documented one major historical event, when the Egyptian revolution was born in front of my eyes in Tahrir Square. 

One more shift? by publishing this book, I'm not only anymore" a journalist", I'm a publisher, my book is the first title of a new venture in publishing business I'm starting, adventure will work to promote the values of Egyptian Revolution , Freedom, justice, dignity, gender rights, etc. I will work to publish the first work of many talented writers,  most important I will give opportunities to female writers and specially from outside Cairo. 

Back to my book, my life and career wasn't an easy journey, being an opponent journalist in a state-run Al-Ahram, flagshiped of a political region I hated, and Yes, I thought tens of times of 

The first Chapter in the book titled " What it means to be a journalist in Al-Ahram" my favorite few lines in this chapter says" being an opponent journalist in Al-Ahram means  you are " the other" all the time, among my colleagues I would be treated like almost unstable person, to be opponent to the government that semi-own the newspaper I work for, but also at the same time, other colleagues working in the independent media, or foreign agencies, blogs, or activist, or any other media people expect of " the ahramists", will look at me as one of " those" who betriet the ethics of profession and being ultra-loyal to corrupt regime and who might write the the demonstrators - God damn them - were those who treated the peaceful Mubarak police violently" 

My book set in three parts, I : (to be at Al-Ahram) II: ( to be a journalist) III: ( Al-Ahram: Dream, Revolution and the Since fiction era) 

In part I, I wrote about the work relations in Al-Ahram, and how Mubarak regime, tuned Al-Ahram from an well established institution to kind of family business ran by friend and relatives, where hiring and firing depends only on the social relations, I compared in this part how Al-Ahram started as ( family business) owned by Taqla family, and was perfect and effecting and well ran, to be a national institutions ran as family business, where public money would be poured on who have connections. ( I supported my argument with documents) 

I wrote in depth how senior reporters deal the new joiner journalists and how the work flow going, and how millions of money would be spent in brand new computers, but the budget won't be sufficient enough for buying a public printer to the newsroom. 


In Part II, I wrote about my life as a female journalist in Egypt, starting from having an opportunity to join Al-Ahram as trainee, going through some scopes I did, like spending a night inside the great Pyramid, just to check the validity of myth about it, one night in a monastery in Saini, just to know as a muslim, how life will be like inside a monastery, and three nights inside mental hospital to correct the public image about people who happen to go through the exceperince  of mental decease, a thing would be big shame in Egyptian community. 

In Part III: I come back from my 20 journey as journalist to Al-Ahram again, and talk about the change me, and other reformists colleague want to see in Al-Ahram, but the most interesting part, ( accruing to one reader and colleague, about how were things link during the revolution time inside Al-Ahram as institution, institution used to worship the region and it's leader. 
I ended part three and the book my appoint myself as Chief of the board, no wonder I called this part ( Al-Ahram the science fiction era) I gave public speech to my fellow ahramists and sign degision that will bring 

Here is some comments I've heard from people who already read the book : 

"This book will shock not only Al-Aharam community, but also the printed media community in  Egypt." 

Labeeb Elsebaie. late Chief of the board of Al-Ahram 

"Many people wrote about Al-Ahram, but not with this depth." 

Sameer Sobhi, the legend layout of Al-Ahram ( over 50 years in journalism career in Egypt)

----
Spacial Thanks for Darko Tomas for the back-cover profile picture, one best pic even has been toke to me. Thank you :)
order it here ---> http://www.diwanegypt.com/ar/books/artist_author/75222

No comments: